What is Cydia?
Cydia (pronounced /Ààs…™di.…ô/) is a software application for iOS that is a graphical front end to APT and the dpkg package management system. Cydia is a software application developed by Jay Freeman (also known as saurik) for the iPhone OS that allows the user to browse and download applications usable on a jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch. Cydia allows a user to find and download applications and software packages for a jailbroken iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, by browsing repositories that list these applications and packages, most of which are available at no cost. Cydia also includes the Cydia Store, which offers a number of applications for sale.
In simple words, I can say that Cydia is iPhone app that will let you install 3rd party apps (apart from iTunes App Store), software package, tweaks, etc, for jailbroken iPhone, iPad, iPod, or any other iDevices.
How-to get Cydia installed on iPhone?
To install Cydia, you have to jailbreak your iPhone using any jailbreak tools such as PwnageTool, redsn0w, blackra1n, limera1n, Spirit Jailbreak (JailbreakMe), greenpois0n, etc. Please browse all iPhone Jailbreak tutorial to find the one that match with your iPhone (i.e. iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, or iPhone 4) and iOS (i.e. iOS 3.1.2, iOS 3.1.3, iOS 4.0, iOS 4.0.1, iOS 4.0.2, iOS 4.1, iOS 4.2.1, etc)
There are some jailbreak tools that embedding Cydia inside the jailbreak tool itself (i.e. redsn0w, PwnageTool, Spirit Jailbreak). Those tools (or by default settings) will install Cydia automatically once jailbreak process completed. But, some jailbreak tools (i.e. blackra1n, limera1n, greenpois0n) will install an app on iPhone and attach Cydia installer inside the app itself rather than bundling Cydia inside the jailbreak tool itself. The separated Cydia installation requires Internet connection to install Cydia.
If you did jailbreak iPhone firmware 3.1.2 using blackra1n, you can install Cydia by opening blackra1n app on your iPhone, select Cydia, then install.
If you did jailbreak iPhone using redsn0w, make sure you check the “Install Cydia” option.
First time set up after Installing Cydia
Now, let’s say that you already have jailbreak your iPhone and installed Cydia successfully.
Make sure your iPhone is connected to Internet.
1. Open up Cydia app on iPhone.
At the first time running Cydia, cydia will be Initializing Filesystem for the first time. When complete, cydia will exit then re-start cydia app.
2. Now you will be asked “Who Are You” which will determine how Cydia app interact with you based on selected category. Selecting the right category will help Cydia to apply correct filters. There are three options: User, Hacker, Developer. Tap “User” (recommended for common users) and tap Done.
3. Cydia will check for packages updates and ask you to update its database for the first time. You can see the progress in the top says: “Downloading packages” which will download new packages database index.
4. Just let Cydia downloading its database index.
5. You will be prompted to upgrade the package. There are “Upgrade Essential”, “Complete Upgrade”, and “Ignore (Temporary)”. Choose Complete Upgrade then tap Confirm to start upgrading. Do not ignore this upgrade, otherwise you are likely to encounter errors.
6. Wait until the process complete, then tap Close Cydia (Restart)
7. Now, Cydia app should be working fine. You may start adding favorite repo to Cydia and start installing package to modify, tweak and customize your iPhone or installing 3rd party apps outside official apps from iTunes store.
Follow and subscribe!
If you found this post useful, please share it via Google +1, Twitter, or Facebook.